Friday, December 19, 2008

Lions and tigers and doctors, oh my!

The more I see of my kids' pediatricians, and the more I talk to other moms with small kids, the more I feel that medicine isn't a science; it's a guessing game. Every doctor you see tells you something different. My two older kids have both had MRSA, as have DH and myself. Each different doctor, nurse, PA...whatever...we've seen has given us different information (and I'd say we've seen at least 12 different practitioners with this). One will tell you to try a certain treatment...the next tells you that treatment is completely ineffective. The same with croup treatments. My kids' pediatricians (and the AAP) recommend hot steam. They advise going into the bathroom and turning the shower on as hot as it goes. Let the room steam up and sit in there on the floor or commode. This has worked for my oldest many times over. He's had croup at least 8 times. Well, wouldn't you know it, someone else's pediatrician told her that steam makes it worse and at best, doesn't help at all. Their advice is cool, night air. *sigh* I don't understand how so many doctors can all tell you with certainty that they know what they're talking about when they all say DIFFERENT THINGS!?! I suppose they're "guessing" just as much as us moms are. :)

1 comment:

  1. My pediatrician said a blast of night air works best... but sometimes isn't worth waking a kid up so harshly... She said her own son got croup twice a year since he was little and by the time he was six he would tell her he needed to go sit in the steamy bathroom... I crack Ellie's window at night and it seems to help. When the boards started to get... argumentative? regarding croup treatment... I didn't bother to mention the steam aspect. No need to have any more... [insert perfect word here] directed at me ;) Girl, do whatever works! Isn't that what we ALL do as mommies???

    As for the guessing game... very true. They don't call it "practicing" medicine for nothing :D

    Love, hugs, and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete