Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Some days are like that...

"It was the best of times. It was the worst of times." Okay, so I can't claim those lines as my own, but I honestly think life as a SAHM can be summed up by that famous quote. There are times where it is the absolute best. I see his first grin. I catch her first steps. The first giggles. The look of wonder on his face as he discovers something new. Her awe at the newness of the everyday occurrances. Going on the first field trip. Making Rice Krispies treats for the soccer team. Going to the pumpkin patch. Days at the beach. Volunteering my time to help others.

However, at times, being a SAHM is the worst. Many times, I feel isolated and alone. Getting out of the house is not always easy with little ones, and many times, I just don't bother. I feel like I don't really have any deep, lasting friendships here, which breaks my heart. I miss my best friend...I miss my family. Sometimes, I just want to feel like a productive member of society. I get sad...lonely...depressed, even.

Yes, "some are good and some are bad. I don't know why. Go ask your Dad." (sorry, couldn't resist) I have a sweet lady in my moms' group (I'll bet she's reading this, too! I sure hope so.) who is having a sad day today. I can totally empathize with her. She may not be feeling sad for the same reasons, but the sadness can be very overwhelming at times. She is loved, not just by me but by a whole slew of ladies whose lives she has touched with her genuinely loving, giving, generous, Christ-like heart.

Life is a roller coaster of ups and downs. I think the downs definitely make me appreciate those high moments even more. How else would I know just how great the ups are if I never experience the downs?

1 comment:

  1. I understand needing a best friend. I've been here over five years and I think I've finally found one - that person I can truly tell it all to, without holding back, knowing that she knows my flaws and loves me despite them. I hope you find a bff soon. We, as women, need CLOSE gal pals - not just friends, but people we can pour out our hearts to.

    And if you were referring to me in your blog, thank you. It is nice to know when people care. I get myself in a slump sometimes... and to quote a favorite author: "And when you're in a Slump,
    you're not in for much fun.
    Un-slumping yourself
    is not easily done."

    Amy, I wish we were neighbors. Love to you and yours from... tee hee... the Parkers ;)

    ReplyDelete