Friday, October 17, 2008

Elections and fears

A lady in my Christian military wives' group posted this message:

"You know what I noticed?? so many of us Christians are talking about the election and people are saying they are worried and all that, but none of us are saying well lets pray about it together. i mean doesnt It say 'where two or three are gathered" ?"

I wrote her back, and during my writing to her, I realized this has affected me far more deeply than I was aware of:

"I will admit, I've been battling a sense of fear and dread when I think of the elections. I'm not thrilled with the direction our country has been heading, and I know that it's not going to change any time soon. One thing my Mom reminded me of is the verse that says (and I'm paraphrasing here, since I'm too lazy to go look it up), "all authority in heaven and on earth is from God". No matter who is elected, I have to believe that he/she was given that authority from the hand of God for some reason. I may not know why...we may NEVER know why...but we have to trust that God allows these things for a reason. (Yes, I'm trying to convince myself of these even as I'm typing it!) Will I breathe a small sigh of relief if McCain is elected? Probably. Am I guaranteed if that happens that things will get better? Absolutely not! If Obama is elected, will I be scared? Yes! However, "God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind." I must cling to these scriptures, as I firmly believe they are the truth!

And you are correct, we MUST be on our faces before God. And really, what better way to vent about how you're feeling and air all your fears and concerns than to lay them before the feet of the only One who has the power to affect the situation??? :)"

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand. I believe that if Obama is elected, then God chose him to bring forth the prophecy in Revelation. I truly do. It frightens me, but the end must eventually come. And I do NOT pray that it doesn't, as that would be against His will. But I do pray that He slows it down. It is coming, and soon. But if McCain is elected, then I will know that God is saying "yes" and slowing it down. But if America, a nation once proudly "under God," elects Obama to rule this once blessed land, then we would be blind not to see the fig tree blooming...

    God's Will WILL be done.

    ReplyDelete