Friday, October 10, 2008

Co-signing

I got this email from a friend. I wish I could claim that I wrote it, but I didn't. I LOVE the perspective she puts on this:

No surprise the big Presidential vote is here. You know it's near when you go into a bakery for rolls and force yourself to buy the red, white and blue cupcakes believing yourself to be more patriotic if you do. I think I heard one of the candidates say they had no calories, and they wouldn't lie would they?

I don't follow politics, but I do pray for them all. The truth is I'm just a simple mom of two. I'm a wife of a man who loves my hot dogs and a teacher of many wiggly and talkative First Graders. I once got to school and realized I still had my slippers on. Did you pick up I'm not a deep thinker especially before my morning coffee?

I try not to get emotional over issues. I just want to know facts and make a reasonable decision. Throughout my day I hear so many talk about who they'll vote for and why. It seems we all have one passionate heart issue we tend to over focus on but sometimes it is possible to be...wrong. Have you ever been?

This is the way I look at this election: Donna's Voting 101
1. I vote for a President and then he wins.
2. Everytime he votes for something it's like putting my name next to each document he signs because I voted him in. (even if I disagree with it). I'm now a co-signer to everything he does.

Hmmmm...serious meetings in an office. I've had many.

For years now I've often found myself in the Principals office. Growing up my parents often joked that if I was ever lost it'd be the first place they looked. I was an "A" student but loved humor. In Junior High it was for innocent practical jokes like reprinting the face of the Vice Principal on one of those bogus "Elvis Sighted" magazines. All grown up as a Teacher on staff I once sent my students down for a hearing screening and told them to repeat "What?" everytime the nurse asked them if they heard the "beep". I was scared, nervous and had a pit in my stomach but the joke was always funnier and overshadowed the serious meeting with "The Head Honcho".

However; recently I sat in the office of someone I really respect. He's wise, he loves me...but I found myself in the doghouse. Why? He told me the truth and didn't accept excuses for my signature being somewhere. I was really disappointed in myself and realized what I allowed to happen by the signing of my name. It really sobered me up to the power it had and to the power I gave away.

After that last meeting it hit home with me just how down to the basics this election is.

Is money your passionate issue at the polls? Is energy, the war, business rights?

To me it's extremely simple. I believe God wants me to vote for someone that votes with God.

There's one candidate who doesn't believe in abortion. That same candidate doesn't believe in homosexual marriage. He also believes parents do have rights over their kids in education. Don't shoot the messenger, just writing what I read in His book and compared to our candidates views. Check it out for yourself.

Voting for the other who opposes what God holds dear? I already had my "office meeting" scare this month and now I'm VERY careful who I'll sign my name next to from now on. I don't think God will even care about the energy ideas or war strategy I co-signed for. However; you better believe He'll take note to any name next to a vote to abort a child of His, or a vote to approve of gay pride celebrations.

As a teacher I'm reminding everyone to do your homework. Please be careful who your co-signing your name to for the next 4 years. After the election, one day on a divine appointment we'll all meet with God. I don't want Him to ever say to me, "no excuses......

"depart from me, I never knew you".

Hope to see everyone at the polls,
Donna

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! And so true. This is the VERY reason my dad doesn't vote. He refuses to give either his "seal of approval." I, however, believe that we can still, on some level, enact change (not the "Obama change," either!!!). Here is hoping that God will restore our country and help us find our moral compass... because right now, we seem to be in the Bermuda triangle and this country as we know it may just disappear like a lost ship...

    ReplyDelete